Also the magneto has been done. . Although the speed limit in Britain was still 20mph! Please refer the below link. Output from Triumph's Priory Street works was soon running at an astonishing 1,000 machines per week, and the Model P's arrival undoubtedly hastened the demise of many a minor manufacturer. Fitted with auxiliary hand pump.
Don't miss beautiful move in ready detached home. A separate oil tank was fitted on the saddle down-tube and there was a heel-operated auxilliary pump for those who did not trust the automatic pump in the crankcase. I also have this bike advertised elsewhere. The factory was founded in Coventry in 1886 by Siegfried Bettman to make bicycles; he was joined by Mauritz Schulte at the turn of the century to add an engine to the company products. A landmark machine in the development of the motorcycle in Britain, Triumph's Model P debuted at the 1924 Motor Cycle Show.
The hand change has no gate and a pain to find gears when changing down, and top gear postion is physically low on the bike. The vision was to provide simple, reliable, and inexpensive motorcycles built with high quality. Triumph pattern, single tension spring, bridged links, independent girder construction, adjustable for side play; steering stops. Adjustable, providing comfortable riding position. Hand controlled, ball thrust push rod operation. For the saddle tank the whole frame was redesigned and was much lower than the previous flat-tank models, and the rider sat much lower. Rims, hubs and spokes enamelled black, with gold lines to rims.
Recent work undertaken includes a complete top end freshen up, and with a new piston being installed. The Model P was a quality machine at a rock bottom price and it was a runaway success. Cosmetically the bike is in fine condition with some ageing and patina here and there. The first of these was the Model P, which arrived in 1925, and the second the 277cc Model W, which was as big an engine as Triumph could build while keeping the resulting machine within the favourable taxation class that limited weight to 220lbs. There was other intrest in the home, with second showings scheduled, so my buyers responded to the sellers counter quickly, accepting it and secureing the home! The old flat tank was replaced by a saddle tank - Triumph's first, and only for 1928 - and it held only petrol.
While the mainstay of Triumphs range throughout the mid-to-late 1920s was the ubiquitous 3½hp Model P and its many derivatives, there were some interesting offerings in other capacities. The rear stand is in good order. It starts easily and sound great both mechanically and on the deep mellow exhaust note. Taper roller bearings, large diameter spindles. Sales of the latter were sluggish however, prompting a switch from such expensive products to simpler and cheaper alternatives.
Overall the bike well present and mostly original condition. Also the magneto has been done. Many upgrades in gated community. Wheel rims spokes are all very good stoved black. Attached to bottom stay fork ends and held out of position by rear mudguard clip.
Bike is for collection in Somerville Victoria 3192. There is an old buff log book dating from 1947 and 1963 letter from Triumph Engineering. It's taken us four months to reach this stage in the restoration of this little Triumph, the engine and gearbox were well worn with lots of missing parts, as spares are not available all worn items were replaced with parts we made or modified from other bikes, missing parts like the kickstart mechanism we designed, made and modified until it worked. Most of these pedals were discarded in the long run, as the oil pump more than proved its reliability. The closest grocery store is Albertsons. Postwar, the mainstay of 1920s production was the 493cc Model P, a sidevalve roadster of ultimate simplicity, which sold for 30 percent less than its rivals, at just £40. Booklets Jump Back to the Beginning Return to Vintage Index.
Tyres are both excellent Dunlop Universals. Recent purchased, but plans have now changed, so its up for sale. Representing an ideal opportunity to acquire an affordable entry-level Banbury bike, the machine is offered with copy instruction book and Swansea V5C. The engine had 84 mm bore x 89 mm stroke and a compression ratio of 4. Fuel capacity 2½ gallons, oil 3½ pints. Nickel plate on handle bars etc is all good.
Production for 1929 probably less than 100 machines, for sales were overshadowed by a totally new range with recirculating oil lubrication. This property was built in 1999. This Model W is an older, correct restoration and hails from the Larry Pedersen collection. The engine and gearbox were basically that of the reliable and well proven Model P and N, but there were numerous detail changes. Tens of thousands of Model Ps were made on an assembly line set up for 1,000 bikes per week, and by 1927 the Triumph range included seven models.